- Polycarbonate provides impact and heat resistance. It is also used for arc flashes, high heat, chemical splash and radiation protection.
- Acetate provides excellent resistance to chemical splash.
- Mesh visors are generally used to protect the face from flying debris and large dust particles, typically in the landscaping and forestry industry.
- Visors that provide protection against radiation (IR and UV) are made from special tinted and/or coated polycarbonate.
- Some visors are treated with an anti-fog coating.